As the world is changing with new inventions coming in to making our life easier. The expandable garden hose is also a welcome addition to garden hose industry. In fact, this is a revolutionary change that we made watering plants or washing a car much easier and enjoyable for hundreds of thousands of people across the globe. If you have yet to have one or you are curious as to what is about, read on as we point out 10 things that you should know about expanding garden hoses.
What is an expandable garden hose?
The expandable hose as the name suggests is a new type of garden hose that expands 3 times its original length when water pressure is on and contracts to its original length when it’s off. Weights 6 times less than a traditional garden hose. This flexibility allows an expandable hose to be self-draining, non-kinking, non-twisting and non-tangling garden hose. Easy to store in very small places.
How does it work?
Expanding hoses are designed in a way that it has two layers to it. An inner tube through which water flows can be made of special elastic rubber called latex or TPC or especially designed tube and an outer fabric which is usually made of polyester fabric. Different manufacturers use a different type of inner hose so the durability varies hose by hoses basis. When water is turned on one end, the other end of the hose which has a shut-off valve is turned off, so that water is blocked from one end and when the pressure builds up inside the inner tube, the inner tube starts to expand and reaches it full expanding length. After which shut off is turned on and the hose works like just a normal garden hose.
What are the advantages?
An expandable hose expands three times in length when in use and is 6 times lighter than a traditional garden hose. So you don’t have to worry about storage problems anymore, just take it out, turn the water on and see the hose expands to it working length in seconds. And when you are done and water pressure is off, the hose will self-drain and coils up, saving you time and energy.
Due to expanding nature of these garden hoses, the expandable hoses will not be tangle, twist or kink, giving you refreshing watering experience that was impossible in the past. In addition, these expanding hoses come in a variety of beautiful colors to match your garden design. Usually, these tubes come in standard ¾ inch diameter, giving you plenty of pressure to professionally wash your vehicle or top windows of your house.
Based on customer’s feedback around the world, it’s clear that expandable garden hose has been a hit but they have had some problems at the same time. There have been many incidents where the hose has either burst or leaked or on some occasions didn’t expand as it should. However, based on our research, these problems are due to several factors:
- Poor quality material used by manufacturers
- User is not followed instructions
How to increase the life of your expandable garden hoses?
- When using the hose first time, ensure to fill the hose with water with the shutoff valve off and allow the hose to stretch and expand. Once it has expanded, release the water and repeat the above process once more before started using it.
- Attach the 10 function spray nozzle on the other end of the hose.
- When fully expanded its ready to use.
- Turn the water off at the source when the hose is not in use.
- Squeeze the nozzle to drain the hose completely and allowing the hose to contract to its original length.
- Do not use the hose for drinking water.
- Do not leave your hose exposed to the sun for a long time.
- Do not leave the hose out in extreme winter weather.
- Be careful to use the hose on rough concrete and sharp edges.
- Keep the hose indoor and shaded to increase the life of the hose.
- Check the quality of the exterior fabric. 5000D*5000D is much stronger than 300D*600D and 420D*800D fabric.
Where to buy one?
There are many places nowadays where you can buy like Amazon, eBay, Wal-Mart, Home Depot. But if you are looking for a high quality expandable garden hose with a special inner tube, then we recommend Wonder Home Gardens (WHG) brand.
Why is WHG expanding garden hose the best in the market?
– Has a strongest inner tube, triple layer natural latex, which is much stronger than any other inner tube i.e Latex/TPC used by others.
– Has strongest exterior fabric (5000*5000D) which is much stronger than 300D*600D/400D*800D fabric used by others.
– Has high-quality brass connectors with metal locks to prevent leaking.
– Have special rubber sleeves at brass ends for additional reinforcement against extreme water pressure situations.
– Have 10 function sprayer nozzle which helps you easily do all kind of watering jobs
– Advanced technology and testing ensure this shrinking hose lasts a lifetime.